Saturday, July 31, 2010

GET OUT!

JANET CHESTER BLY

Copyright©2008,2010



Yesterday proved to be a downer day. I felt listless. Nothing grabbed me as important on my 'to do' list. I sat at home and fumbled with a riff-raff of miscellany. No purpose. No peace. I needed to get out.

 


Peace develops as a process.
Do you want personal peace? Then, get out of yourself and risk a project, a cause, or a relationship. "But that's just why I don't have peace," you might protest. "It's all that stuff and stress of life that gets me down." But the search for peace itself turns your attention inward. Focused on your wants. Your needs. Unless you reach outward, your efforts fail. You stagnate. One living being must reach out to another to stir potential vibrate life.

So, there's no guarantee that what you attempt to do brings you peace. Maybe not. But you won't know unless you try. Peace develops as a process. There's no magic spray can. If there was, you could buy it in 5-gallon drums.

I recall my confusion when my friend Karyn avoided another woman. I thought she and Alexa had much in common. Both had red hair. They loved to ski. They raised chow dogs. And they each had a great sense of humor. Slam dunk friendship, I thought.
Little Orphan Annie

"Alexa makes me feel like a penny waiting for change," Karyn finally confessed. "Or like Little Orphan Annie before she got her perm and learned how to dance and sing."

I realized Karyn measured herself by the ways they were different, not by similarities. They were too much alike, so comparisons happened. My friend was honest and perceptive enough to admit she felt they competed for the attention and affection of the same group of folks.

Once she got convicted of her wrong attitude, she determined to get out, to get of herself. "That's why I reacted so quickly when one of Alexa's dogs was diagnosed with an infectious disease. I knew I needed to help her with cleaning her pens and getting her other dogs separated. I did it more for me than for her--to get my heart right."

 +++++++++++++++


When have you needed to get out, that is, get out of yourself and risk doing something for someone else? Did it lead to personal peace?

No comments: